Wow. I feel like The Vampire Diaries just opened a million new doors and I cannot wait to see where it takes us. I love the way even the laying out of each story feels momentous instead of tedious. Every moment last night involved some sort of fairly large reveal so I’m just going to make a list.
Caroline to the rescue!
1. “Grow up.” Caroline rescues her dad from Damon. So, Sheriff Forbes took Damon to compel Caroline’s Dad, Bill, to forget all about Caroline and leave town. However, Bill believes in the power of the mind to overcome anything (he’s totally a creepy motivational speaker) and proves it by being impervious to Damon’s tricks. When he arrives at Lockwood mansion to take over the council, Damon goes on the attack and Caroline comes to her father’s rescue (when he resists taking her blood she tells him to grow up and it is awesome). She and Damon have a BRILLIANT fight in which she totally kicks his ass. In the end her dad leaves town, but not before telling her that despite her reassurances ”You’re a vampire sweetheart. I don’t think you’ll ever be ok.” I find that incredibly cruel. Do we think that her dad will be able to convince her to stop being a vampire?
Gloria tries to suck information about the necklace out of Stefan using vervain.
2. “Well, this is creepy” Katherine, upon seeing Gloria’s voodoo setup. Gloria the witch gives Stefan a vervain laced pat-down in an effort to find Rebecca’s necklace/figure out why Klaus can’t make more hybrids. I just love how completely over the top the setting was – with all of the candles, Stefan splayed on the table, the two decorative jars under his wrists to catch his blood – I mean, I know that rituals require precision, but it’s not like they were guaranteed a bunch of alone time. After doing a locator spell on the necklace, Gloria saw Elena, Caroline and Bonnie talking about Stefan which put her on alert. She didn’t divulge this information to Klaus because she would never help a “hybrid half-breed”, but also because she wants the necklace/talisman for herself. She threatens to tell Klaus the truth unless Stefan helps her get it and when Stefan goes to attack, she does that fantastic witchy thing that Bonnie does and shocks his brain or whatever. So she sets up her little voodoo lounge of comunicating with souls and tortures Stefan until she sees how much he loves Elena and how far he’s willing to go to protect her from Klaus which is when Gloria figures out that Elena is the doppelganger and the fact that she’s not dead is why Klaus can’t make more hybrids. But, before Gloria can get what she really wants, Katherine arrives and stabs Gloria in the neck. I love Katherine so much I literally clapped.
While I enjoy the dichotomy between Katherine and Elena, Katherine is definitely more fun to be around.
3. “Be careful, she’ll ruin you.” I LOVE Katherine. After she kills Gloria and saves him (I do love how often the women do the rescuing on this show), Stefan lays out his plan for her. I’m not sure I really get how the whole thing works, but he claims that he was mimicking what Katherine did with himself and Damon (she pretended to love Damon in order to get Stefan to love her. In this situation, he’s pretending to be best buddies with Klaus in order to get Rebecca in a position to be willing to do anything to earn back his love? Maybe?). Stefan tells Katherine that they were running from a hunter in the 1920′s and that he wants to know why a vampire who can’t be killed is running from a vampire hunter. When she says she wants in when he makes a move against Klaus, he just dismisses her with a “it’s good to want things Katherine”. I like this scene so much. I like seeing Stefan relaxed and smiling instead of angsty. And I like seeing Nina Dobrev sultry and sassy as Katherine. She and Paul Wesley have great chemistry and sometimes the darkness and guilt of Stefan and Elena’s relationship overshadows that. ”I’m in this alone. If you’re looking for a diabolical partner in crime, I suggest you look elsewhere.”
Rebecca sees what Stefan is trying to hide.
4. “My girl’s dead. I’m bored.” I’m sad that Rebecca turned on Stefan (or caught on to him, whatever) so quickly because I sort of like her. She’s got that same entitled brattiness that Katherine has. The big theme with her this episode was how well she knew Stefan and it was interesting to see all the ways in which she tested his truthfulness. Stefan tried to get her to tell him who she and Klaus were running from before Klaus stabbed her with the dagger of almost-death. He thought he was being so smooth and manipulative, but she doesn’t buy it. Rebecca immediately rats Stefan out to Klaus, telling him that he’s no longer on their side and asking about Michael. Poor Stefan is kind of a dope isn’t he? I mean, he had a plan – to use Rebecca’s love for him to find out who Klaus is running from – and he executed that plan, but she still saw through it. I wish that we had seen a little more bonding between Rebecca and Stefan before she called him out. It might have been nice to see her loyalties torn between Stefan and her brother. Also, it would have made her feel less expendable. It’s very rare that this show telegraphs a character’s expendability like this (I mean, it took them two seasons to off Aunt Jenna and I was SURE that Tyler’s uncle was going to become a part of the fabric of the show and he was killed pretty quick) but I feel like, her brother has already done away with her once and now that Stefan has no emotional tie to her, there’s no one to keep her from NOT dying (well, except for the fact that she’s an original and technically can’t die).
I love that the entire time Damon was yelling at Elena about not being Stefan, he had blood on his chin.
5. “So you’re not, like, switching Salvatores are you?” – Caroline to Elena. Damon has been spending a lot of time with Elena which is making the hairs on the back of everyone’s neck stand up. Alaric is worried and tells Damon to “take a beat” with Elena, Caroline spends most of the episode trying to convince her that he can’t/won’t change (I loved the way Caroline snapped “stay focussed” at Bonnie when first trying to talk to Elena about Damon), and after his run-in with Bill and Caroline, even Damon is trying to convince Elena that what she wants isn’t who he is. ”I am not Stefan. I wish that everyone would stop trying to turn me into him.” I appreciate that the writers aren’t toning down Damon and his thirst for human blood in order to justify Elena’s attraction. Nor are they saying that what Damon does is ok. I mean, clearly, Damon is meant to be the “bad boy” in this little triangle, but part of a woman’s attraction to the bad boy is the desire to fix him and I’m glad that (so far) the writers are refraining from allowing Elena to “fix” Damon.
Ok, so if Anna can actually touch Jeremy does that mean she's not a "ghost"? WHAT IS SHE?
6. Unfortunately, I have no witty quote to jump into the Jeremy/Anna/Bonnie situation. So far, I’m a little bored by this story, but I have a couple of theories. First of all, Anna told us that it takes both her desire to see Jeremy and his desire to see her for their communication to work. We also learned that Vicki leaves a very dark feeling over Jeremy whenever she’s around and it seems that she doesn’t like Anna interfering. But Jeremy seemed to tire of Anna as well and after he realizes that he needs to be able to be with his alive girlfriend more than his dead vampire ex-girlfriend, he shuts Anna out and leaves her sobbing and alone and it’s actually kind of sad. My first theory about this plot is that Matt is going to discover the push/pull method of getting in touch with his sister and it’s going to take him down a very dark path. My second theory can be found below in #9.
Alaric (Matthew Davis) can protect me from the supernatural children of Mystic Falls any day.
7. After Alaric wakes up from his Damon induced nap (“Your temporary funeral”), he’s pretty pissed off and takes his new role as Elena’s father figure seriously. He goes to the Mayor and Sheriff and tells them that he wants to be the Gilbert family spokesperson on the council because, thanks to their supernatural children, they can no longer be objective and the humans of the town need someone on the council looking out for them too.
I think we definitely need more Tyler/Caroline alone time.
8. Caroline surprises Tyler in his bedroom and he offers to kick her dad’s ass (which she refuses because she bought him the shirt he was wearing and it was really expensive. That’s our Caroline). They have a little sexy time and it’s super sweet and sexy. I don’t know when this happened, because I loved Matt and Caroline, but Caroline and Tyler are totally my new favorites.
Katherine lures Damon into a road trip.
9. Elena gets her necklace back from Bonnie and she spills Jeremy’s ghost secret and she blames it on the fact that the witches said there would be consequences. She turns around for a milisecond and when she turns back, Elena is gone. BECAUSE ELENA WAS KATHERINE. It took me far too long to grasp that (I seriously paused my DVR to figure out how Elena could disappear so quickly. D’OH!). It is important to note that during their very short encounter, Katherine became privy to the fact that Jeremy has been talking to his dead vampire ex-girlfriends. I haven’t quite formulated my theory on what Katherine will do with that information, but you just know it’s going to be important. Next stop on Katherine’s Mystic Falls tour is Damon’s house where she asks him to be the Clyde to her Bonnie and shows him the necklace. He accepts, because what else is he going to do at this point with everyone trying to get him to either change or stay away from Elena. LOVE this – Katherine and Damon tearing down the Eastern seaboard? Perfection.
Look how proud Klaus is; I guess he thinks his plan must be working.
10. The very last scene showed Stefan waking up among Klaus’ family coffins to find himself in the back of a truck that has returned him to Mystic Falls so that Klaus can figure out just what Stefan has up his sleeve.
Damon’s Bon Mots of the evening:
“I knew your old family. They made sucky chili.” – Damon
Elena tries to get Damon to behave.
“Just because you and I are on ok terms doesn’t me I’m suddenly a big advocate for your lifestyle.” Sheriff Forbes “Is that what you told him when you two got divorced?” – Damon
“Don’t get me started on the irony of that” – Damon when Bill (who is gay) threatens to out him
One disappointment: I wish the 100 dead witches hadn’t cut Bonnie off after she brought Jeremy back to life. I liked them and their house of horrors.